This is my first piece of work for some time. Hopefully there'll be many more pieces to come.The colour hasn't photographed too well. Below is a scan of the middle section and I would say that the actual appearance is somewhere between the two:
At last I've started a new painting. This one was planned several months ago but I've been unable to paint it until now. Geranium is the sixth painting in my Memories series and like the others is based around old family photos.
I used Windsor & Newton Artisan water mixable oils and started with an underpainting using a very dilute mixture of burnt umber and ultramarine (almost like watercolour in consistency and application). I considered leaving the old photo as black and white rather than my usual sepia colour but then changed my mind and painted over the "black and white" (again a mixture of ultramarine and burnt umber with the addition of varying degrees of white). The "sepia" was still the same mixture of burnt umber and ultamarine but with a much greater proportion of burnt umber. I'm not sure if opting for a sepia photo was the best choice as I quite like the very restricted black and white appearance of the underpainting.
I'm still working on this and will add the finished painting soon.
Memories Series - Buttercups oil on canvas, 12 x 16 inches
Life's been pretty difficult lately which is why I've only just managed to finish the new painting. Actually, I should say I'm not positive it's finished, I may just do a little more work on it yet but this is basically it:
I found in this painting that I had to keep adjusting my colour as I was going along as the whole effect was looking far too faded and I wanted to make sure there was a contrast between the old photos and the beach setting. In order to achieve this I ended up choosing a much warmer and brighter colour scheme than I first intended, but I think it works a lot better than the colour scheme I'd originally selected. I think the change of colour is most obvious in the seaweed in the top right of the painting, I decided to provide a balance to the orange in the shells and this also helps the photographs to stand out much more.
As with the other paintings in this series, this still life is based around family photos from the 1950s. The underpainting was completed using a mixture of very diluted oil paint and almost looks like a watercolour painting. I'll add more colour (although still quite muted) and thicker paint in the next layer.